Monday, July 4, 2011

Paris - Monday

I've realized that I often when i am sending photos and text the text gets stripped from the post. I think this has to do with the wifi bandwidth. Anyhow, I will just send text and photos separate.

Yesterday we walked to Parc des Buttes-Chaumont. It was a bit of a trek but we got to see a lot of non-tourist Paris. One section we wandered through appeared to be a China town that became more of a blended international district. I didn't bring my camera since we were run/walking there. Too bad since there was a lot to ogle. The streets were tight with people, which I find quite challenging since I'm used to a lot of elbow room.

All the park's green space was packed with sunbathers and picnickers relaxing on a Sunday. One hing I'm learning is that the Parisians really know how to chill out. They hang out in cafés blabbing and people watching. They linger over dinner for hours. They sit on park benches watching and thinking and socializing. We passed a couple of men sitting in a café, a copy of Simenon on the table, having a heated discussion about some sort of philosophical question. Ah, France. You wouldn't see that scenario very often in Starbucks. I have a hard time relaxing on that level. I always feel compelled to be doing something (though most of the time I look like I'm doing something I'm just being my usual frenetic self).

I don't really know what we'll do today. The museums are closed for the day so it may be wander around day. We walked through the Marais last night taking photos so there may be more of that. We meet our friends Matt and Stuart tonight for dinner so that'll be fun.

No comments: