Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bye bye Lyon the post


As I write this, we are speeding along at 100 mph on a train which is en route to Paris. Every now and then I see a flash of sunflower fields as we rush by. 

Our train left at 8:00 and is scheduled to arrive at 10:15 at Gare du Nord. Unfortunately, that meant rising early after going to sleep around 1 am. I was thinking I'd sleep but I'm not sure if that'll happen. 

Our last day in Lyon was a great one. We started by traveling by metro and bus to the Museum of Contemporary art where we saw an exhibition by Indian artists. One of the most amazing pieces was a full size truck made of shiny metal buttons that included numerous passengers riding in the bed of the truck (this was no Toyota pick up but a large construction type truck). After the museum, we went to the Parc Tête d'Or, which is apparently the largest city park in Europe. After we wandered around a bit, we came across the weekly Saturday event in the park. Music, food, art, displays and people sitting around in groups discussing the problems of the world. It was amazing - each group was open for anyone to join in the discussion - politics, city planning, solar power, what it means to be human, how traditional cultures in Ecuador are trying to survive in the modern world. You'd never see that on the same scale at an American park. 

After the fun trip to the park, we went to the Tzigane (Roma) circus near the amphitheater. The circus was made up of what appeared to be an extended family with a few performers hired in. The primary focus was ariels - there were long curtains and ropes that hung from the riggings of the cozy tent. There was live music that seemed to get the crowd engaged in the whole performance. 

After that we went to dinner in Vieux Lyon. My eyes being bigger than my stomach I ordered a 3 course meal that was way too much for me. I couldn't finish it all. Next time I'll just order an entree and leave the big eating to the French. 

Our next hotel is Hotel Place des Vosges in the 3ème arrondisement, the Marais district. 

Later.

No comments: