Friday, July 1, 2011

Lyon - what's not to like?

One of the best things about Lyon is the lack of American tourists. Really, aside from a random Brit or two and a couple busloads of Asian tourists, most of the tourists are actually French. It's hard to know why since it has much to offer: great food, low-key atmosphere, Roman ruins, old French architecture, cool museums and cafés and more shopping than you would ever dream possible. I'm not complaining, mind you. I'm glad to be one of the few Americans trolling around (oddly enough, we sat next to a family from Yakima at our hotel breakfast this morning - weird). I'd recommend a visit to Lyon for anyone looking for a nice vacation spot in France - I'd come back again for sure.

We were fortunate enough to meet up with my co-worker Olivier, his wife and their very cute daughters for a pastry and coffee at Pignol by our hotel. He is from Lyon so it was good timing to be here at the same time as they were.

Before coffee, Levi and I went to the museums of textiles and decorative arts and were amazed at the crazy detailed embroidery on the Louis XIV era costumes. Very worthwhile. This evening we took the funicular up the hillside to see La Musica Nuda at the Roman amphitheater by the cathedral. Great duo - bass and vocals. Very entertaining.

Tomorrow we may hit a couple museums and then the Gypsy circus in the evening. We're hoping to go to a restaurant that comes highly recommended by Olivier. It'll be our last day in Lyon before heading off to Paris for the last major bit of the vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I have to admit that, while I haven't read this entry (yet), that Carla and I have been talking about you all night. You were the bright spot during my time at Cloverpark Tech; I think about you everyday.

Here's to your brilliance,
Michelle G.

Lev said...

Thanks, Michele. There aren't a lot of bright spots available at CPTC. You were one of the few students there who had a brain. I hope married life is treating you well.