Thursday, July 5, 2012

Seven weeks on one drawing

I just finished the Spring drawing session at Tacoma Academy of Fine Arts. I'm not naturally good at drawing and lack much of patience and steely-purpose required of classical drawing. However, I thought I should try it. The first sessions were rough...I was working on a vase and it seemed to take forever (which it did...9 hours on a vase that wasn't exactly high art by the time I finished it).

After the vase, I drew a cast of a female torso. I spent 7 or 8 weeks on this drawing (3 hours per session). I finally finished it last week. Here are the progress pictures (the photos aren't very good since I was shooting in odd light with my iPhone):







After a while, the drawing practice became somewhat meditative for me. It calmed me down and allowed me to work on my looking skills. I think it turned out pretty good considering where I started from. It tells me that if I keep working at it I'll continue improving.

4 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Leslie, not only did you do a great job, you also inspired me to keep trying. Bravo to you.

Lev said...

Thanks, Glenda. I hope you are well and creating some beautiful art. :)

Marianne Morris Art said...

Gorgeous Leslie! Glad to see you are still drawing. Great idea to chart your progress... looks like painstaking work!

Lev said...

Thanks, Marianne. It definitely helped to have a good teacher who was very encouraging and positive.