Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Driving to Prague

Despite our map-studies and the contingent plans we made in case we missed our turns to get back into Prague, we got lost en route back to the city. The most frustrating thing seemed to be "banging a u-y" wasn't the simplest activity. At one point, after figuring out where we were (a minor miracle to my mind), we realized we needed to turn around, so we took the next right in order to turn around. Unfortunately, the street turned out to be a tunnel that spit us out somewhere else. Still, I managed to keep my cool (I was the navigator).

Finally, we managed to get directions from a fellow on the street and made it to Malá Strana only to miss our left turn to get us to the hotel. No problem, right? Well, there was a massive backup and the road we wound up on had massive construction on it. Missed another turn after turning around again (at this point I lost it...I kept insisting that the soccer stadium was just an illusion, that we couldn't possibly be passing it and the map must be wrong). Finally, calmer minds prevailed and got us back to where we needed to be and finally to our hotel. This is the second time we've driven into Prague and both times have been extremely challenging. Somehow I believed this second time would be easier. I can drive in NYC but here is extremely nerve-wracking.

Prior to arriving in Prague, we had driven to Jihlava, which is the birthplace of Gustave Mahler. He is a picture of a park built in his honor:

And here is a picture of Levi enjoying an RC Cola in the Smile Bar:
 
After a run this morning, we'll meet my friend Fanda for a local's tour of the city. Hopefully, it doesn't rain too much (I'm wishing I brought at least one more pair of pants since it's been a bit on the cool side).

No comments: