Sunday, August 12, 2012

Encaustic workshop with Larry Calkins

I spent the weekend at the NW Encaustic Center learning encaustic collage with Larry Calkins. Collage isn't really one of my skills so it was a challenge to get myself pointed in the right direction. My inclinations are for less elements so I can get stymied when I have tons of materials and options available. It's kind of like having a refrigerator filled with really great food and feeling the urge to use everything in one meal.

I was given two large wood panels and access to lots of postcard-sized boards. Starting with a large panel was too much for me, so I backed off and went to the small boards since I'm much braver on a canvas with limited real estate. I finally got loosened up and started playing with the different techniques Larry (and Shaun Doll, the owner of the studio) demonstrated, the vast array of source materials,  and the variety of colored waxes available. I finally made something I liked when I found a rhomboid-shaped scrap board that I added some of my repeating dead birds, a transfer of a handwritten letter, and some oil paint stamps on tissue paper.

Here's what this first one looks like:
Dead robin detail
Detail of oil paint stamps
Today, I decided to try to make another one with a similar feel. 

Charcoal & pastel drawing on tissue paper
I really like the tissue paper transfers that we learned...much better than the water technique I've been using, which is prone to running. I also learned about using shellac with wax (firing it with a propane torch), which creates beautiful "lace" patterns. I'll post a photo of my shellac attempt on another evening.

If you ever get a chance to take a class with Larry or see his work, I highly recommend it since he's a wealth of information and an extremely talented artist.

When I got back home, we chilled on the deck enjoying the nice weather and a beer. Then, we ate an excellent roast beef with spaghetti squash, salad and zucchini meal that Levi had made while I was out. A really great weekend.
 

No comments: