Tuesday, August 2, 2011

All hands on deck

That phrase really has nothing to do with my life. I just happened to be watching Moby Dick last night (pt. 2 is this evening - I'm sooo excited - though I promise I will, eventually, finish reading the entire book) and that came to mind as a good title for this posting. I recently purchased a piece of artwork from a blogger I follow named Seth Apter. The piece is called Fides.


I love the hand position in the piece - it's originally from a religious statue. I feel as though I'm perpetually being blessed.

I had originally planned to place it in a more quirky spot beside Godzilla and a fake orange, but it didn't seem to go. Instead it's beside a pine needle Tarahumara basket, a miniature painting by a Georgian (think Russia, not peach) artist, a enameled Russian box and an Acoma ceramic piece. I think this is a better location.

This piece is a nice companion piece to a porcelain hand/plate that my husband gave me. It came from the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City, CA. The admonition on the plate is "Fairly Safely Venture."


Fides also reminded my husband of a monument we saw in Prague. It commemorates a student protest that occurred on November 17, 1989 during the Velvet Revolution.


A round of applause for the hand in art. Sorry...I had to say it.

4 comments:

Seth said...

I am so happy that Fides has found such a great home. Thanks for sharing the picture in this post. It is rare to see what happens to my artwork after I send it out.

Lev said...

I'm glad you got to see it, Seth. I'm really enjoying the piece.

Supria Karmakar said...

Lovely post and lovely artwork...Seth's work is wonderful for sure

Lev said...

Thanks, Supria. I'm interested in checking out your work...I'm doing very (very) rudimentary experiments with trying to get encaustic effects out of acrylics. I'll peruse your blogs and maybe bug you a bit for ideas.