Sunday, September 18, 2011

Film ends and a farewell

A great feature of film (though some might call it a defect) is the ability to squeeze an extra half-frame out of a roll of film. At the very end of a roll when you think you've got one more shot, sometimes the film counter can miscalculate a bit (couldn't possibly be a result of a messed-up load by the photographer). You take your shot and realize it's a half-shot or less when you try to advance the film and find it stops abruptly. Although it can be frustrating to think that last incomplete shot would have been perfect if only..., I often like the bits of pulled emulsion and snags that show up. An example:
Levi
I like the wisps of light that cross over his face and the "crud" creeping up his chest. Reminds me a bit of spirit photography, though without the ectoplasm.

On a sad note, the neighbor cat who was in the habit of dropping by to visit (and occasionally sneaking into my house) seems to have disappeared. I saw a sign posted by my neighbor, which said that the little guy had gone missing. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he may have been eaten by coyotes, since I saw one walking down my driveway around the same time the cat had gone missing. I miss the little guy, especially since I am currently without a pet. He was pretty funny and awfully friendly.

Bye bye, Sukey.

1 comment:

Chyrum Lambert said...

What a great shot with the haze!