Saturday, September 14, 2013

Homage of sorts to William Henry Fox Talbot

A while back I took one of my old cameras, a Kodak duoflex and attached a "shooting chute" of sorts. The idea is that you use an old camera and shoot a digital image through the lens, so you're getting a picture that doesn't look like what you would normally get from a digital camera (or from the original, film camera either). The set up looks like this:
It's pretty ugly and wonky to shoot through. I had originally made it a pinhole camera by removing the lower lens, which is why it looks more like an "unoflex"than a duoflex.

Anyhow, I shot some photos through this contraption, using the Canon G9. Here is an example of one of the shots:

I decided that this reminded me a bit of a William Henry Fox Talbot photograph. This one:
"The Open Door" - William Henry Fox Talbot, 1844
Honestly, it's just that both photographs have a lone broom as the subject that makes the association for me. I decided to try to imitate the tonal qualities of the Talbot original. Here is the result:
"The Neglected Deck" - Leslie Levenson, 2013
Way more greenish than the original. But it's fun to try to mimic photos. I'm always amazed at how I overestimate my own skills when I try to do something like this. I know soooo little. It's good to keep trying though.

No comments: